Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Symbols of The Greater Christmas Gift

Andrew Wyermann writes...

At a Christmas celebration in a nursing home, I asked the folks to tell us about their favorite Christmas experience. The group seemed to light up. Spontaneously one by one they told their Christmas story. Each was different except in one respect. Every experience was taken from their childhood.

They did not remember Christmas as a parent, but as a child. Then I turned the question on myself. I, too, returned to my childhood.

The first, and perhaps most memorable, experience I recalled took place when I was seven years old. Early Christmas Eve, my mother took my brother and me out for a treat. It was her way to get us out of our fifth-floor apartment in the Bronx while my father prepared for the evening festivity. As we climbed the stairs back to the apartment, the shrill sound of a whistle filled the hallway. What was that, and where did it come from? Our pace quickened and a second burst of the whistle could be heard. We dashed into the apartment. There was my father playing engineer with the biggest Lionel train ever made. It was so magnificent, so unexpected, so wonderful!

Some fifty years later, I still have the train set and cherish it as much as any material gift I ever received from my parents. The train is a warm reminder of the greater gift my parents gave me. This gift has nothing to do with any material advantages, or even with any piece of sage advice. Unconditional love was their gift. I never doubted their care for me, and from such grace sprang my own capacity to truth.

It was years later that I fully understood the gift my parents gave me had its source in God's gift of the Child to us all.

The sound of the whistle and the song of the angels have become one and the same. They are both the signal of God's love.

1 comment:

Jesus Welder said...

Great memory. I still remember my first ten speed bike - I was so excited! My dad was a small town preacher and so we had little money. I still don't know how he scrapped up the cash to buy them.
Dan Favor - Jesus Welder
https://jesuswelder.blogspot.com