Monday, December 10, 2007

Keeping Christmas from Becoming ChristMESS (Pt. 2)

I am presenting 4 main points under the topic of "Keeping Christmas from Becoming ChristMESS". These steps will help you keep your sanity and focus during what is sometimes the most stressful time of the year.

Take the time to read the first one if you have not done so already, then look at today's which is posted below:

II. RESPOND TO OPPORTUNITIES

As we really remember the reason for the Season, we will also be more open and receptive to the various opportunities that are presented to us from time to time.

While there are those who are very timid to take advantage of opportunities, there are also those who are a bit over-zealous like the following 2 ladies:

Making the Most of Every Opportunity – Teri Leinbaugh writes…
My mother and I arise early on Saturday mornings to catch all the garage sales. One typical Saturday we spotted a garage sale that seemed to be just opening for business.

We quickly walked into the man’s garage and began looking over his wares. After a few minutes and several stern looks from the solemn-faced garage owner, he asked if there was anything he could do for us.
“This is a garage sale, isn’t it?” my mother asked timidly.
The gentleman chuckled, somewhat relieved. “No,” he said. “I was just cleaning out my garage. But if there’s something you want, let me know.” We did—and now he’s five dollars richer.

The Opportunity To:

A. Witness

As you are standing in the long lines, it’s a great time, especially upon hearing the sighs of the people in front of you and back of you just wondering how they’re going to make it through another Christmas season.

They might even ask something like, “why do we do this to ourselves?” - At that point, it’s a great opportunity to continue the conversation, and let them at least know what the Christ of Christmas means to you.

The other day, I was in a store (not shopping), and decided I was going to grab a bite to eat while I was there. As I was going into the restaurant inside the store, there was a moment where a lady was coming with a shopping cart, but going into the restaurant too, and as she stopped to let me go through, I knew she was giving up her place in line. As I walked into the line, she came in behind me, and I thought well, I’m going to give up my spot to her even though I am absolutely starving to death. I let her go by, then after she got done refusing, she finally stepped forward, then said these words: “I was just at a funeral today, and they shared how there are only 2 places in eternity, Heaven or Hell” – Wow, I wasn’t sure how she got that out of the recent moments, but I realized this was a lady who was serious about her faith, and I told her that I fully agreed, and as a Pastor preach the same. She asked if I was a John 3:3 believer (Ye must be born again), and I assured her that I was.

Come to find out, she attends a strong bible-believing church in the area, and was just taking an opportunity to tell someone about the Gospel. Way to go!

B. Worship

When the Angels appeared in the sky to announce the Savior’s birth, they couldn’t help but take the time to Worship: Luke 2:14 "Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace to men on whom his favor rests."

The Shepherds were the first of mankind to be Worshipers: Luke 2:15-17 When the angels had left them and gone into heaven, the shepherds said to one another, "Let's go to Bethlehem and see this thing that has happened, which the Lord has told us about."

The Magi gave these expensive gifts because they were worthy presents for a future king. Bible students have seen in the gifts symbols of Christ’s identity and what he would accomplish. Gold was a gift for a king; incense, a gift for deity; myrrh, a spice for a person who was going to die. These gifts may have provided the financial resources for the trip to Egypt and back.

Respond to Opportunities throughout the Christmas Season, and you will be amazed at the lack of stress you experience!

Be sure to catch our next post for the 3rd point on How to Keep Christmas From Becoming A Mess!

No comments: